Sunday, May 9, 2010

Apple Enchiladas


Mmmm...these are good. I was looking for a dessert recipe with apples since we were cooking for Bizzuck's mom for Mother's Day, and she likes apples. I adapted this recipe from one on AllRecipes. It was fast and easy, and it makes a lot. You could easily split the enchiladas in half and have enough dessert for twelve people instead of six. Serving it with ice cream also stretches the recipe (and makes it more delicious). I didn't have any pecans or walnuts, but I bet they'd be great sprinkled in the enchiladas or on top.


(Before and after baking)


Apple Enchiladas
2 (20-oz) cans apple pie filling (I got the no-sugar added kind and gave it a rough chop)
6 flour tortillas
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 (8oz) container of whipped cream cheese
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup (5 Tbsp) butter
1/3 cup water
Preheat oven to 400. In a large bowl, mix the two cans of apple pie filling with the cinnamon and nutmeg. In another bowl, mix the powdered sugar with the cream cheese. Spread some of the cream cheese mixture on each tortilla, and spoon the apple filling on top. Roll up tortillas and place seam-side-down on a lightly greased 8x8" baking pan. (I had leftovers of the cream cheese mixture and the apple filling, so I put what I had left on top of the tortillas.)
In a sauce pan, bring the butter, white and brown sugars, and water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for three minutes. Pour sauce over the tortillas. Bake for about 40 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment