Thursday, July 15, 2010

Basil Pesto



My basil plants are growing quickly and beautifully, thanks to Bizzuck's attentive eye, so I decided to make some basil pesto.  Pesto is usually made with pinenuts, which are insanely expensive, so it's nice that this recipe uses walnuts, which are much more affordable.  My food processor is broken for some unknown reason, so I made this in a blender; it took some prodding and scooting things around for it to come together, but it was still so fast to make.  If your food processor is working, this thing will be a breeze.  You can eat it with some pasta, like it is here, or just wait for the delicious sandwich recipe that's coming tomorrow.  I adapted this pesto recipe from All Recipes.


Pesto


3 cups fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 - 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (of course I used 3/4 cup)
3/4 - 1 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste


In a food processor, blend together basil, walnuts, garlic, and Parmesan cheese.  Pour in oil slowly while mixing.  Stir in salt and pepper.  

No comments:

Post a Comment