Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pioneer Woman's Chicken Tortilla Soup


Tortilla soup is one of my all-time favorite foods, and I love all of Pioneer Woman's recipes.  PW knows what she's doing, and all I had to was follow her directions, but of course, I didn't.  I like spicy food, but I was a bit too heavy-handed with the chili powder on this one.  The taste was saved, though, by a nice dollop of sour cream, which mellowed everything out and made it just delicious.    

PW's recipe tells you to sprinkle a mixture of cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder on chicken breasts and then bake them; I just sprinkled on salt and pepper and browned the chicken on the griddle.  To make up for the chili powder I didn't put on the chicken breasts, I sprinkled it (too generously) in the soup.  I won't do that again.  The main differences between the recipe I'm posting here and hers is baking the chicken (her) vs. pan-frying (me) and the cutting down of spices (me).  I also cut down on the cooking time, mainly because I was hungry and I didn't want to wait. 

This really is so good on a cold night or any night you need a pick-me-up.  You'll like it!

And on another note:  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM! 


Pioneer Woman's Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 small onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles
1 can black beans, drained
32 oz low sodium chicken stock
3/4 cup to 1 cup water
3 Tsbp cornmeal
Corn tortillas

Garnishes:
Sour cream
Avocado
Cheese
Cilantro

Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, and cut into strips.  Cook chicken in skillet sprayed with cooking spray until no longer pink.  Set aside. 

Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.  Add onions, bell pepper, and minced garlic.  Stir and begin cooking; add some of the spice mix (of cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder).  Stir to combine, and add chicken strips.  Pour in diced tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato paste, and black beans.  Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat.  Simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered. 

Mix cornmeal with water.  Pour into the soup, then let the soup continue to simmer for 15-20 minutes.  Check seasonings, adding more if needed.  Turn off heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes.  Add corn tortilla strips before serving.  Garnish with sour cream, shredded cheese, sliced avocado, or cilantro.  Yields 6-8 servings. 

1 comment:

  1. I have used so many of her recipes, love them. This looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete