Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sweet and Savory Burgers


We LOVED these burgers!  I don't eat a lot of red meat, but I couldn't get enough of these.  I think the sauce is what made them extra good.  It was really spicy just to taste it on its own, but it was perfect with the burger on both sides of the bread (and as a dipping sauce for the fries). 

This was a Southern Living recipe.  It called for chili sauce, and I wasn't positive what that meant, so I got a jar of sweet chili sauce in the Asian foods section of the grocery store.  I should also note that this is probably my first burger, ever, without cheese on it.  I didn't even miss it.  The recipe says you can top the burger with grilled pineapple slices and grilled red onion, and I'm sure that would be great, but both of us ate our burgers with the bread, the meat, and the sauce.  Simple and delicious.

The bottom line is that we'll definitely make these again.  I can't recommend them enough.

Sweet and Savory Burgers

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1.5 lbs ground chuck (80/20)
1/4 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup jalapeno jelly
Hamburger buns

Combine the first five ingredients, and pour them in a shallow dish.  Shape the ground chuck into five patties, and set the patties in the soy sauce mixture to marinate.  Make sure both sides of the patties are dipped in the marinade.  Cover and refrigerate for four hours.

Combine the chili sauce and jalapeno jelly, and set aside. 

When ready, grill the burgers over medium high heat for 6-7 minutes per side, or until cooked to desired doneness.  Smear pepper jelly mixture on both sides of the bun, and garnish burger with grilled pineapple and grilled red onion, if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment