Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chicken with Tomatoes and Garlic


I liked this dish because a) it was tasty, b) it didn't require a lot of my attention, and c) I used a little bit out of my pantry and freezer that had been taking up space for a while.  The chicken was really tender.  To use up more pantry items, I served it with mashed potatoes and green beans, but it really would have been better with pasta and some crusty bread.  My inspiration was the Pioneer Woman; I changed it up a little bit, though.  She used thighs instead of chicken breast because she too was cleaning out her freezer.  Make it work for you!  


Chicken with Tomatoes and Garlic

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 (14 oz) can diced or whole tomatoes
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup white wine
Fresh herbs- basil, parsley, rosemary (I only had dried- 1/4 tsp basil)

Preheat oven to 400.  Heat Dutch oven over medium-high heat, and add olive oil.  Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, and brown in olive oil for 3 minutes per side.  Remove chicken from pan.  Pour in wine, scraping the bottom of the pan.  Cook for 1 minute.  Pour in tomatoes with their juice, stirring to combine.  Bring sauce to a boil, and then turn off heat.  Add fresh herbs, garlic, and chicken breasts.  Put lid on pot and cook in oven for 1 hour.  Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes before serving.  Serve with pasta, Parmesan cheese, and bread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment