Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Easy French Toast Casserole


This was an easy, make-ahead breakfast recipe that we both enjoyed.  I'm sure this would be even better with fancier bread (French bread, cinnamon-raisin bread, brioche, etc.), but I needed to use up several slices of good ol' wheat bread before it went bad.  Because I'm usually rushing around in the morning, I put everything in the casserole dish and let it sit over night, and then I baked it in the morning. 

It's an easily adaptable recipe.  Like I said, you can use different types of bread, or try half-and-half or cream or even egg nog (for a holiday twist) instead of milk.  It's also easy to double or triple, depending on the size of your crowd.  I hope you like it!

Easy French Toast Casserole

3 cups bread, cubed
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
2 Tbsp white sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Cooking spray

Spray an 8"x8"  pan with cooking spray, and place bread cubes in the pan.  In a bowl, beat together eggs, milk, half the sugar, and vanilla.  Pour egg mixture over bread. 

If baking that morning, let the bread/egg mixture stand for 10 minutes.  If baking later, refrigerate the mixture at this point. 

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350.  Sprinkle bread/egg mixture with the cinnamon and remaining tablespoon of sugar.  Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until top is golden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment